vrijdag 4 november 2011

Start towards Perfomance

Patience is a virtue, but I can’t wait to get my job done. My friend said to me:"Fast, Good, Cheap, pick any 2". Where I replied: How Fast are we talking about?

In Top Gear, people are always talking about the feelings you get when see a car. When you drive it. The feeling of speed is one that stands out for me. Why? A car is made too bring you from point A to point B, as fast possible and as comfortable as possible and now also as cheap as possible. A business website has similar goals, they want the customer to find they way through their site and in too their bank account.

Design for performance is more than tuning, it’s providing a highway from point A to point B, in a tuned up the luxe sport car, where you can feel the wind through your hair. Good usability and good performance should go hand in hand.

This is not done over night, building an application that can handle speed and success takes time and proper testing, so don’t crash when you shave a corner. Structured Load and Stress testing reduces risk of this happening.

There is an other way... What if there were no traffic jam’s, ever? Wouldn’t that safe you more time than a pimped up super car? I know what you are thinking, I would rather have the pimped up super car. But for just a minute, be honest with yourself. If you never had traffic jams, wouldn’t you be happier? Just a little? Think of time you’ll safe. For cars this sounds like science fiction, but for applications it can work. Welcome in the world of Application Performance Management. Here we can intervene proactive, so no accidents in production.

So please join me in this series of blogs, discovering ways how performance improves your day to day job and how easily to accomplish it. Feedback is welcome. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities, when I talk about that subject.


As a personal challenge, I will be updating this blog weekly. Until I get tired of it or I find something more interesting.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Danny,

    I'm hoping you'll also bring some Architectures which are designed for performance. Isn't that the most proactive approach?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Andries,

    This is more like unit testing code before you write it. You will write code differently when you write your unit test first.
    You will have an easier time fixing/finding problems, because you will have the necessary indicators in place and you already thought about it.
    But this approach can only be truly called proactive, when data it produces will be used, once it's implemented.
    It's like a car having a gearbox, you must know when it's optimal to change gears. Otherwise you will be stuck in first.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen